Saturday, August 4, 2012

War Horse



       Last night I had the privilege of going to see the play War Horse which is currently being hosted in Toronto, Canada by Mirvish, and so I just had to write about the experience which was to put it in a word, phenomenal.War Horse, as you may or may not know started like many great stories do, as a book. The novel War Horse was written by Micahel Morpugo in 1982 and then adapted both as a film and as a play. Though I haven't read the book yet, I watched the movie version of War Horse, which was released in 2011, earlier this year and immediatley fell in love with the story.

      
      If you're not familiar with War Horse, here's a description from the Mirvish's theatrical trailer:
"This powerfully moving and imaginative drama, filled with stirring music and songs, is a production of phenomenal inventiveness. At its heart are astonishing life-sized puppets created by South Africa's Handspring Puppet Company, who bring breathing, galloping, charging horses to life on stage."
 -Mirvish


     The play adapts the story beautifully, and the puppetry of the Handspring Puppet Company is simply amazing, they truly brought the horses to life.  From the beginning to the end I was completely immersed in the story, wonderstruck by how well it was executed. The acting is superb, and the music is so beautifully integrated that I forgot there was actually an orchestra playing just below me in the orchestra pit until the end of the play. As for the set, I felt as if I was truly frolicking in the English fields with Joey and Albert as they grew up and standing right beside them on the front lines of the First World War. I absolutely urge you to go and see War Horse; it is beyond extraordinary.
      As a further note, I would just like to credit all the amazing writers who were involved in the production of War Horse:
  • Micahel Morpugo who wrote the original novel
  • Lee Hall and Richard Curtis who wrote the screenplay for the film
  • Nick Stafford who adapted the original novel, for the National Theatre of Great Britain's production of War Horse

War Horse the book (movie cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Leaving a Comment; I absolutely love to hear from my readers!